We love neon!

Friday 22 November 2013


Left image Erena Te Paa (me) and right image my house via alotwithalittle.com

This is me, Erena and thats an arco lamp I painted for my living room makeover.  You don't normally see me in person on the blog but Mereana and I were playing dress ups one day and she snapped this photo of me at her place in one of my favourite colour combinations.  Neon yellow and white.  It's a fresh look and this kind of yellow always brightens my mood.  The white helps to make everything more vibrant creating a stop traffic kind of Pow!  I bought this crop top from a store called Dotti.  If the truth be told it's actually 2 sizes too big for me but I don't like clingy things and I think it still works - it was also ON SALE so no surprises that I just had to get it.  The skirt I bought in Wellington at a secondhand street stall for $20.  I don't know if you can tell but it has pleating right the way around which gives it a little formality and adds a certain retro great gatsby vibe - I actually used it for a gatsby inspired photoshoot I styled recently.

Naturally this colour combination inspired the post as I am more than a bit obsessed with neon accents and namely fluoro yellow neon at the moment, can you tell...


Left image: via  undeclaredpanache.com & right image: via cocokelley.com

I love love love the dress above. The neon limey yellow accent draped along the lower skirt is to die for. I think perhaps the most intriguing thing is the fact that the designer has paired this with a very nude muted palette.  Which if I'd only heard about the dress from just a description I just couldn't envisage it working but clearly it works so well and it gives the dress an edge.  I love bright yellow accents in any space - I did it at my own place with the arco lamp that I painted and it works really well in the eclectic style interior above. 


Left image: via  foxxfoe.blogspot.com & right image: via freshome.com

Fluoro yellow is an of the moment kind of trend and its not something you'll want to throw on everyday but it really does leave other colours in the dust.  I mean why just have a white mini shirt dress when you could have a fluoro yellow mini shirt dress and why just have a white cabinet when you could have a white and fluoro coloured cabinet.  Its just so refreshing.
Left image: via  vogue.com & right image: via desiretodecorate.com

A clawfoot bath in fluoro green is such a great idea for injecting modernity into your space which is especially great if you favour modern spaces while your partner might love vintage pieces.  There is always a way to find balance and merge the two, love it! 


Image via milkfarmroad.com

I couldn't end this post without showing you a simple DIY effect you can do at home.  Dipped bottles, utensils, plates (you name it, if it is tangible you can dip it).  I am definitely trying this one at my place very soon when I take on the kitchen! Simply take your item and proceed to dip it, dip it good, di-dip it real good (note the Salt & Pepa reference) but head to milkfarmroad to get all dipped out with this style tip.

Til next time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground